About this release
This release by Public Health Scotland provides an update on how long eligible patients waited from referral to screening appointment for in vitro fertilisation (IVF) treatment by the NHS in Scotland. The standard is for 90% of eligible patients to be screened at an IVF Centre within 52 weeks of receipt of a referral from a secondary care/acute consultant.
During the quarter ending 30 June 2022:
- 375 patients attended an IVF screening appointment, an 11.1% reduction in comparison with the previous quarter (422 patients). By the end of the quarter, the average number of patients screened each month was similar to the pre-pandemic level during 2019.
- the 90% standard was met, with 99.5% of patients attending a screening appointment within 52 weeks from referral.
- 99.2% of patients waited 39 weeks or less to be screened. Of that, 62.1% were screened within 26 weeks, a greater proportion than in the previous quarter (50.0%).
- 294 patients were referred to IVF Centres, a reduction of 26.1% compared to the previous quarter (398 referrals). By the end of the quarter, average monthly referrals for the period July 2021 - June 2022, were 12.2% fewer than during 2019, prior to the pandemic. The Aberdeen and Edinburgh Centres received more referrals (60.8% and 26.0%), while fewer referrals were received by the Dundee and Glasgow Centres (51.0% and 34.9%).
- 587 patients were waiting for a screening appointment, 16.9% fewer than at 31 March 2022 (706 patients). For the period July 2021-June 2022, the average monthly number of patients waiting was 18.3% more than during 2019, prior to the pandemic. Of the four IVF Centres, only the Glasgow Centre waiting list is higher than their pre-pandemic average.
The next release of this publication will be 29 November 2022.
If you have an enquiry relating to this publication, please contact email@example.com.
If you have a media enquiry relating to this publication, please contact the Communications and Engagement team.
Requesting other formats and reporting issues
If you require publications or documents in other formats, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To report any issues with a publication, please email email@example.com.